|Remuneration:||R3500 per month|
|Location:||Phalaborwa, Kruger National Park|
The Southern African Wildlife College (SAWC) was conceptualised in 1993 and established in 1996 by the World Wide Fund for Nature, South Africa (WWF South Africa) with national and provincial government departments, other conservation agencies and the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
If you are looking for an opportunity to develop your hospitality skills further, and to learn about the real challenges of working in this rewarding yet challenging industry, then you will love your time with us at the college. The college is situated near Orpen Gate, straddling both Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces and within Kruger National Park itself. The campus is impressive and won the original architect, Dennis Moss, and Associates, an award when the college was built. There is a staff pool, a recreation area, an outdoor gym by the staff pool, and the walk around campus is relaxing and enjoyable.
During your stay with us, you will meet students from all over Africa, not just South Africa, as well as international students from the UK, Australia, the US, and Europe. There are always other volunteers and interns, national and international, as well as research students from South African and International universities, so there is always a group of dynamic young people on-site to hare recreation time with.
Night times are filled with the calls of jackals, hyena, lions, and the guttural growl of leopards and wildlife can be seen safely from inside the fenced and secured campus, although opportunities arise for the braver adventurers to go on staff game drives or bush walks.
Whist enjoying the beauty of the bush in which the college nestles, you will also learn about the real challenges of living and working in a bush environment, working within a non-profit, working with very tight budgets, and dealing with people from across the globe.
This is NOT an employment opportunity, but an opportunity for those who have finished studying/ left school and have not yet found employment or gained any marketable skills. During your time with us, you will be exposed to, and carry out the following invaluable skills, which will not only add value to your resume but will give you confidence and experience in your chosen field.
These are the skills and the experience that you will be exposed to and be able to gain during your time with us:
- Overseeing quality control of meals and quantity control of portions produced by the kitchen
- Maintaining stringent hygiene standards and controls within the kitchen and restaurant
- Assisting in managing the administrative side of the Hospitality department which includes liaising closely with the Hospitality Manager
- Control and issue of stock
- Reconciling and processing of cash ups for the beverage and catering sales in the restaurant at the end of shift
- Overseeing weekly stock takes of cutlery, crockery, bar and kitchen stock and capturing figures on a computerized system
- Customer liaison and handling of complaints
- Ensuring food preparation and food serving staff are always neatly and cleanly dressed
- Supervision of all subordinates which may include taking relevant disciplinary action
- Adhering to the College’s Safety Rules and Regulations and current legislation at all times, and supporting and fostering a work ethic which includes all elements of the College’s Safety, Health and Environmental Control (SHEC) policies
- Receiving and checking the quantity and quality of goods delivered from suppliers
- Calculating daily meal costs on issue sheets
- Checking and verifying staff attendance registers daily
Our interns would need to possess the following:
- Cooking Certificate, Diploma or higher, or similar training
- High-level numeracy, English and computer literacy
- Pleasant nature, neat and forward-thinking
- Able to work on their own
- High standard of ethics
- An ability to deal with a diversity of cultures
- Neatness of appearance
- This position deals with stock and money and will be subject to random integrity testing
NB! Food and accommodation will be provided.
Please note: In order to apply for this and other internships, please click on the apply button which will take you to the interns’ platform – www.trustedinterns.co.za. Register your profile, and once approved, you can go ahead and apply.
Posted on 29 Aug 15:16