Law Practice Jobs offered
Advertise your job ad on Bizcommunity.
Apply for jobs with your free online cv
|Remuneration:||Negotiable depending on experience|
|Benefits:||Medical Aid, performance bonus, Provident Fund|
|Job level:||Management Snr|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
Section27 is looking for a director of litigation to plan, coordinate, and implement its litigation, advocacy and public education in accordance with its mission and objectives. The director of litigation is to provide strategic guidance and manage S27’s attorneys and in-house counsel and work closely with the team on litigation and other legal matters.
Our activities include litigation, research and advocacy to advance and promote the rule of law and the individual’s right of access to health care services, basic education and food, as guaranteed by the South African Constitution.
- Admitted advocate or attorney with a minimum 10 years’ experience in public interest litigation.
Knowledge and skills
- Five years’ management and supervisory experience.
- Experience and/or knowledge of the public interest law sector.
- Human rights and/or constitutional law litigation experience.
- A drivers licence is essential.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in (or working towards learning) one or more indigenous South African languages is highly recommended.
Duties and responsibilities
- Oversee and lead the implementation of substantive programmatic work of the organisation.
- Identify and develop strategic legal interventions consistent with the organisation’s mission.
- Provide high-level legal advice.
- Convene regular meetings with legal teams to discuss plans and to identify and address challenges.
- Conduct bi-annual performance appraisals of attorneys, in-house counsel and senior researchers.
- Develop appropriate strategies for implementing advocacy campaigns in consultation with the management team.
- Develop scholarly contributions based on S27’s work.
- Conduct an annual planning session with the litigation team to develop a plan and budget for the year.
- Attend and participate in monthly staff meetings, management committee meetings, organisational reviews and planning as well as other meetings that relate to the work of S27.
- A self-starter.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure.
- Participatory style but decisive when necessary.
- Willingness to work beyond official working hours.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Strong leadership skills.
Posted on 20 Apr 16:13
– Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.