|Location:||Cape Town, Stellenbosch|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
Technology Transfer Manager (Two-year contract)
Innovus is responsible for technology transfer, entrepreneurial support and development, and innovation at the University. We manage the commercialisation of the University’s innovation and intellectual property portfolio through patenting, licensing and the formation of spin-out companies.
The key responsibilities of the incumbent will be to work closely with other technology transfer members of Innovus on the following key performance areas:
Networking and marketing
- Establishing and maintaining productive relationships with SU’s academic and research community to stimulate awareness of intellectual property issues and commercial opportunities, and to encourage an innovative and entrepreneurial culture within SU;
- Engaging directly and proactively with academic departments to identify SU’s intellectual property with potential for commercial exploitation;
- Setting up meetings and arranging events to market Innovus on and off campus;
- Actively updating Innovus’s social media and website information with news, events information, etc.;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with industry;
- Appropriately marketing SU’s intellectual property to identify and engage commercial exploitation partners/investors;
Evaluation and protection
- Grasping technical concepts quickly, and translating these into commercially viable proposals;
- Managing a large and growing portfolio of projects to a successful commercial conclusion;
- Assessing the commercial potential of SU’s intellectual property based on uniqueness and market potential;
- Advising academics on, and executing, the best mode of protection for SU’s intellectual property;
- Identifying appropriate routes to exploitation;
- Analysis of business opportunities;
- Preparing and making recommendations for optimal deal structuring of potential spin-out companies and/or licence potential.
- Identifying potential industry partners for specific technology commercialisation opportunities;
- Constantly and very proactively liaising with industry in order to facilitate technology transactions;
- Engaging in technology licensing and new venture formation processes; in particular structuring, negotiating and closing deals;
- Working effectively with key stakeholders, assertively influencing them and, where appropriate, showing tenacity and persistence in business development situations.
Mentorship and leadership
- Playing an important role as a mentor for Technology Transfer Officers, as the incumbent is more experienced in the technology transfer area and is expected to convey his/her knowledge to other team members;
- Taking the lead to promote the technology transfer team members’ projects to the deal stage where he/she will play a role in providing direction to technology transfer officers regarding the full technology transfer process, with specific focus on negotiation, stakeholder management, and transaction structuring.
Communication and other duties
- Communicating regularly and effectively with other members of Innovus, including regular meetings with the senior director of innovation and business development, to ensure effective management of SU intellectual property;
- Carrying out such other duties relevant to the incumbent’s experience as requested by the senior director of innovation and business development.
(Knowledge of special working practices, breadth of management skill required, customer impact, responsibility, efficiency)
- Analysing intellectual property (IP) to identify the best mode of protection. Making recommendations for the protection of IP to the senior director of innovation and business development and to appropriate academic staff;
- Making recommendations for the exploitation of SU’s IP to the senior director of innovation and business development, and leading the implementation of these recommendations once agreed upon;
- Identifying and engaging suitable commercial exploitation partners and investors;
- Engaging in the structuring, negotiation and closing of licensing deals and new venture formation;
- Liaising with colleagues in the Technology Transfer Team and within Innovus and SU to contribute to the development of good practice in technology transfer.
Freedom to act and decision-making
(Depth of control, supervision received, use of judgement and initiative, analytical ability)
- Contributing to the delivery of a range of outputs, including technology disclosures, protection of SU’s intellectual property, license and investment deals, new venture formation as well as providing mentorship and support to technology transfer officers.
Communication and Networking
(Liaison with others, type and level of communications)
- Communicating and networking with the Innovus transfer staff;
- Communicating and networking with other Innovus staff, in particular academic staff;
- Communicating and networking with members of various public and private sector organisations;
- Communicating and networking with investors and commercial partners (existing and potential).
- A postgraduate scientific degree or equivalent qualification;
- Project management experience;
- Experience of working within a scientific environment;
- Proven record of deal completion;
- Good understanding of the Intellectual Property Rights of Publicly Funded Research and Development Act (51 of 2008) and its Regulations, as well as SU’s Intellectual Property Policy;
- Good knowledge of technology transfer systems/processes;
- Practical knowledge of commercialisation and investment networks;
- Good business acumen;
- Good organisational skills;
- Good IT skills, including word processing, spreadsheets (Excel), and e-mail;
- Good communication and numeracy skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Proactive self-starter;
- Ability to support others while working as part of a team;
- Flexible and co-operative;
- Ability to mentor and motivate team members;
- High energy level, good health;
- Willingness and availability to travel as required throughout the Western Cape and occasionally through the rest of South Africa or overseas;
- Valid driver’s licence and own transport.
- A scientific PhD qualification in management;
- Proven experience in a technology transfer office at a university.
Commencement of duties: As soon as possible, but no later than 1 July 2017
Closing date: 5 May 2017
Enquiries regarding this post: Anita Nel on
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 24 Apr 15:21
Get job alerts for Manager jobs
- Online Marketing Manager, Cape Town
- Key Accounts Sales Manager, Cape Town
- In-House Researcher/Locations Database Manager, Cape Town
- Sales Manager, Cape Town, Recruit Digital
- Marketing Manager, Cape Town, Viv Gordon Placements
- Mid Level Traffic/Project Manager, Cape Town, Southern Suburbs, Ad Talent
- Web Analytics/Optimisation Manager, Cape Town, CBD, Black Pen Recruitment
- Channel Manager, Cape Town, CBD, Black Pen Recruitment
- Account Manager, Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Viv Gordon Placements
- Assistant Brand Manager, Cape Town
- Account Manager, Cape Town, Viv Gordon Placements
- Event Manager, Cape Town, Sea Point
- Spanish Speaking Campaign Manager, Cape Town, Foreshore, CBD, DQ&A Media Group
- Business Development Manager, Cape Town, Recruit Digital
- Social Media Community Manager, Cape Town, Woodstock
- Digital Producer/Project Manager, Cape Town, CBD
- Digital Project Manager/Producer, Cape Town, Ivy Farrell Recruitment
- Senior Operations Manager, Cape Town, Recruit Digital
- Senior Product Manager, Cape Town, Recruit Digital
- Localisation Project Manager | Post Production, Cape Town, Amplified Talent
- Group IT Support Manager, Cape Town, Datafin
- Global Tax Manager – SSA/MENA, Cape Town
- Regional Communication Manager, Cape Town, CBD, Time Personnel
- PPC Account Manager, Cape Town, Talent Magnet
- SEO Account Manager, Cape Town, Talent Magnet
- Talent Acquisition Manager, Cape Town
- Senior Manager – Technical Projects, Helderberg, Bridgena Barnard Personnel Group
- Debtors Manager, Cape Town, Time Personnel
- Finance Manager, Cape Town