|Location:||Cape Town, Stellenbosch|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
Library and Information Service
Systems Administrator: Linux systems
The incumbent will be responsible for the technical administration of the Linux-based software applications in the Library and Information Service while liaising with ICT and Library staff to research and implement new technologies for scholarly communication and research support services.
- Providing first-level application support for niche Linux-based systems for scholarly communication and research support
- Assisting Library staff in application configuration, data extraction, and reporting
- Liaising with the institutional ICT Division on systems administration and related support incidents
- Researching, installing, configuring, testing and maintaining Linux-based software applications
- Overseeing the scripting of automation routines to streamline back office processes
- Maintaining documentation of systems configuration and workflow processes
- A three-year tertiary IT qualification, or a minimum of five years’ relevant work experience in Linux systems administration
- Demonstrated competencies in the management of the Linux operating system on command-line level (CLI)
- Experience in database management software such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience in data manipulation and analysis
- Good communication skills
- LPI certification
- Working level knowledge of R, Python, or related data science tools
- Knowledge of descriptive metadata schemas and bibliographic standards
Commencement of duties: 1 September 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 25 June 2017
Enquiries regarding this position: Mr Wouter Klapwijk on 021 808 4378
Enquiries regarding remuneration and benefits: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
The university will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The university reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and contact details of at least two referees), must reach the university before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at http://www.sun.ac.za/vacancies
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the university within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 26 May 12:45