PhD Interns X3 (12 Months Internship) vacancies are available at our Client Wits Health Consortium in the Centre of Health Policy at the University of The Witwatersrand Johannesburg.
The Centre for Health Policy (CHP) and Centre for Health Systems Research & Development (CHSR&D) are South African health policy and systems research units based at the University of the Witwatersrand, and the University of the Free State.
The centres employ public health and social scientists and offer a dynamic environment in which to conduct cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary health systems and policy research; write academic publications; engage in national & international policy debates; and participate in international consortia.
CHP’s current research focuses on health systems, human resources, health care financing, governance, access to health care, and policy implementation analysis.
CHSR&D’s current research focuses on public health policies, strategies and operational functioning; human resources for health and occupational health issues; health communication; and priority programmes (TB; HIV and AIDS; TB-HIV co-epidemic; and sexual and reproductive health).
In addition, our work includes policy engagement and postgraduate teaching.
We have established national and international reputations, and our success is built on innovation and diversity.
CHP and CHSR&D are committed to building capacity in health policy and systems research.
We offer a supportive environment that emphasizes mentorship and skills development.
Main purpose of the internship
- To prepare three research interns for entry to a three-year PhD programme, supported by an NRF SARChI bursary.
- The interns will be provided with supervisory support to develop a PhD application as well as gain experience by participating in existing research projects.
- The topic areas under which the interns are likely to work are one of the following: quality of health (Free State-based), digital health, and community-based mental health care.
- The Centre for Health Policy at the University of the Witwatersrand and Centre for Health Systems Research & Development at the University of the Free State.
Required minimum education and training
Master’s degree in Public Health/Sociology/Political Science/ Development Studies/ Economics.
Knowledge of public health, health systems or health policy will be an added advantage, including the topic areas listed above.
Additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Must have good writing and conceptual skills.
- Able to work well in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must be highly motivated with a strong interest in health equity and social justice.
- Be passionate about research, with some prior experience and an eagerness to learn new methods and approaches.
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 14 February 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
SCAM ALERT – PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! – DON’T BE SCAMMED!!!