Stellenbosch University – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences – Department of Visual Arts
Lecturer – Visual communication design (Photography and digital media) – Permanent appointment
The Department of Visual Arts focusses on the training and development of visual artists and designers. Maintaining a broad and critical approach, emphasis rests on visual art and design practices as research. The development of new media formats and practices, creative thinking processes and the practice of visual art and design within cultural, economic, and socio-political contexts receive further emphasis.
- Teaching and providing supervision in Visual Communication Design focussing on Photography and Digital Media across all years of study in a Visual Arts environment that promotes and facilitates intersections between Art and Design;
- Conducting research and creative production in Visual Arts and Design;
- Developing and maintaining competitive standards in Visual Communication Design (focussing on Photography and Digital Media);
- Participating in the administration of the Visual Arts and Design programme;
- Coordinating and participating in projects aimed at social impact.
- A Master of Arts degree in Visual Communication Design, or an equivalent qualification;
- Thorough understanding of Photography and Digital Media as integral to Visual Art and Design;
- Skill and experience in training and teaching Visual Communication Design (with an emphasis on Photography and Digital Media) on a Higher Educational level;
- Delivering research and creative work with the intersects between Art and Design as points of departure;
- Promoting innovation, creative and critical thinking in the above-mentioned field among undergraduate and postgraduate students;
- Working independently as well as collaboratively in developing, facilitating, and coordinating academic, creative, research-based, and socially relevant courses;
- The ability to function in a multilingual environment.
- Expertise and facilitation skills in Digital Production, Illustration and Drawing (in addition to Visual Communication Design, Photography and Digital Media);
- Continuous research development in understanding these fields and their relevant technologies as integral to Art and Design;
- Expertise in postgraduate supervision in the broad fields of Art and Design;
- Sound administrative and communication skills.
Commencement of duties: 1 July 2021
Closing date: 29 January 2021
Enquiries regarding this post: Dr. E van der Wal on 021 808 9087, or at email@example.com
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753 or at az.ca.nus@rh-e-nus
The University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as Stellenbosch University’s institutional EE Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 27 Nov 10:22