- 1 cup cashews or almonds
- 3/4 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Shredded coconut or additional orange zest, for dusting
WATCH THE VIDEO: These Healthy Energy Balls Taste Like Chocolate Truffles
1. Process cashews in a food processor until crumbly. Add dates, cacao powder, salt and vanilla; process again. Pulse in range zest, then cacao nibs.
2. With slightly wet hands, roll mixture into 1-inch balls. If mixture is too sticky to handle, freeze until firm enough to roll, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Dust each truffle with coconut or orange zest; place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Yield: 20 (1-inch) balls
|Calories per serving:||82|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0mg|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||2g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||8g|
|Sodium per serving:||11mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Calcium per serving:||6mg|
Good to Know
Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and/or a pinch of chili powder to give these snacks a touch of heat.
This Recipe Is
From Whole Food Energy by Elise Museles. Copyright © 2016 by Quantum Books.