Information Technology (IT)
Institutional Software Solutions (ISS) – Stellenbosch Campus
System Support Specialist(Ref. IT/033/0221)
The Institutional Software Solutions (ISS) Configuration and Support team configures and supports a collection of multi-purpose enterprise software platforms to provide institutional solutions, i.e.:
Online web survey and -data collection software, Microsoft Teams and -Office 365 productivity applications, document and record management, web content management, Dynamics 365-student recruitment, -short course management, – recruitment bursaries management, digital publication of the academic programme offering and web platform administration.
The System Support Specialist plays a key role in the management of the web survey and data collection software platforms and in the administration of web platforms. This includes coordinating directly with the DevOps team to ensure the ongoing governance, maintenance and smooth operation of the platforms – and providing specialist advice and support to academic research, staff matters and student affairs, and client services stakeholders on the optimal use of these platforms. The System Support Specialist’s role forms part of a matrix of Research ICT capabilities, to support research within the University.
Web survey and data collection software
- Registering new student- and staff users in the Access Database record keeping system;
- Creating user accounts and administering user permissions to survey components;
- Supporting first-time users with software queries related to web survey and data collection software platforms;
- Providing new users with links to manuals and basic instructions;
- Presenting survey software training sessions;
- Creating email lists of SU respondents for whom ethical clearance have been obtained and importing them into Groups whose access rights are to be administered;
- Supporting and advising users on best practices and investigating and responding to advanced survey software queries;
- Researching and responding to advanced survey software queries;
- Working in close collaboration with the DevOps Team to plan updates and version upgrades in order to limit impact on ongoing web surveys.
Administration of web platforms
- Administering requests for WordPress, Linux and Microsoft web server environments;
- Recording web environments, webmasters and webmasters records in record keeping systems;
- Administering websites and making initial setups for WordPress websites;
- Administering the handover of web environments to webmasters for WordPress sites;
- Managing communication with webmasters and managing access and password management on WordPress and Linux web servers;
- Working closely with the DevOps Team to coordinate upgrades, logging of incidents and development of standard operating procedures.
Administration of Dynamics 365 Solutions
- Providing a backup role in the maintenance and administration of the Dynamics 365 solutions and supporting the users of the system;
- Providing assistance with the training of system users and developing and maintaining training materials and system documentation.
- A relevant NQF7-level qualification, e.g. a degree or an advanced diploma in an information systems-related field such as Information Systems or Information Technology,
- A National Senior Certificate that meets at least Diploma Requirements, supplemented with Information Technology or computer related training;
- At least three years’ demonstrable information systems-related support experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills;
- The ability to analyse complex processes and solve problems in a logical way;
- The ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders to identify and investigate their requirements;
- Experience working with different functional groups simultaneously;
- Strong interpersonal skills – must be a team player;
- The ability to manage time and prioritise tasks effectively to deliver outcomes and meet deadlines;
- The ability to self-motivate and work independently with minimal supervision;
- The ability to provide information systems-related end-user support;
- Adept at identifying, evaluating and using current and emerging technologies to enable research.
Enquiries regarding job content: Olivia Boesak on021 808 9328, or at .
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753, or at az.ca.nus@rh-e-nus.
Commencement of duties: 1 April 2021
Closing date: 26 February 2021
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753, or at az.ca.nus@rh-e-nus.
The University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as Stellenbosch University’s institutional EE Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 17 Feb 10:37