A Surveillance Officer (Professional Nurse/Registered Nurse or Staff Nurse) (6 Months FTC) vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium in Port Elizabeth – Eastern Cape.
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (“WHC”) is a wholly-owned Company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa) under its Faculty of Health Sciences. WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives. In addition, WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
Main purpose of the job
- To collect clinical data and samples from patients at various designated clinical and hospital sites for surveillance and operational research under programmes that fall within the hospital-based surveillance, in the face of the COVID19 pandemic
- Port Elizabeth – Eastern Cape
Key performance areas
- Rapidly identify surveillance cases by close liaison with clinicians and laboratory personnel, daily review of all new admissions, and by using other methods that are in place for that site
- Obtain informed consent and interview patients, clinicians, and relatives to fulfill ethical requirements and ensure the reliability of data
- Complete case report forms by interview and/or record review and submit timeously
- Take/ collect relevant specimens (nasopharyngeal, oropharyngeal, nasal and stool swabs, and venepuncture) from patients for laboratory testing as per protocol
- Monitor the progress and outcome of patients in and out of the hospital to ensure accurate data collection and recording
- Produce weekly stats reports
- File surveillance and research records on-site after data collection, according to the relevant protocol
- Actively participate in and contribute to surveillance-related activities
- Must be willing to travel between the various sites and do patient home visits
- Assist to obtain permission and ethics approval for surveillance and research activities in the region
- Perform tasks assigned by the line manager, related to NICD surveillance and research and assisting with hospital screening and specimen-taking
Required minimum education and training
- 3 or 4-year Diploma in Nursing
- SANC registration as a Professional Nurse/Registered Nurse or Registered as a Staff Nurse is Essential
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Knowledge of infection prevention and control procedures
- HIV counseling and testing certificate will be advantageous
- Must have strong management skills, with experience in managing conflict
- Organized, thorough and accurate approach to work
- Resilient with demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Above average computer skills, particularly in MS Excel, MS Access, MS Outlook and MS Word
- A valid Driver’s License (Manual) is desirable
Required minimum work experience
- Three years’ clinical work experience, post-qualification
- Two years in clinical research would be advantageous with at least two years’ experience in oropharyngeal/nasopharyngeal specimen taking and venipuncture
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 04 November 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.