Corporate and marketing communications
(Headquarters: Cape Town)
The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Science writer and editor
Three-year contract post
The South African Medical Research Council seeks to appoint an experienced and qualified science writer and editor. The role will focus on writing and editing of publications and support of our research translation activities. The position would suit a health journalist with a science background and qualification, a multitasker with an eye for detail who can navigate multiple projects, while producing high-quality content suited for various publications and digital platforms.
About the role: Together with the communications team, you will write, edit, coordinate projects, ensure quality assurance of scientific content and support our outreach and research translation activities.
What you will be doing:
- Provide comprehensive writing and editing services for large and/or complex projects, potentially involving multiple media;
- Interpret complex scientific/technical information and translate into various forms of easily understandable and non-technical communications;
- Coordinate production jobs, often with the corporate team and agency;
- Track the progress of multiple, simultaneous projects and results achieved;
- Collaborate with staff members from the corporate team and across research units to support communication needs;
- Serve as quality check officer for production assignments through interaction with design agency and staff members;
- Understand the brief and conceptualise with the Head of Corporate Communications multimedia related projects;
- Ensure buy-in from relevant stakeholders and approval;
- Communicate and coordinate with service providers to deliver on projects;
- Ensure the delivery of multimedia projects in collaboration with Unit portfolio holders;
- Be part of the planning on public outreach opportunities by engaging relevant stakeholders and staff.
Broad functional areas:
- Writing and editing;
- Project coordination;
- Quality assurance and business support;
- Public outreach.
- Three-year qualification in health sciences or related field;
- Three years’ writing and editing experience;
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant field;
- Experience in a research or academic environment;
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively.
Please note a portfolio of evidence will be required as part of the recruitment process.
A salary in the region of R638,951 per annum, cost to company, will be negotiated in line with qualifications and relevant work experience.
Please go to the following web site to complete an online application: https://forms.gle/jKuFiUAmfpTfQTMm9
Closing date: 7 May 2020
Please quote the reference number (R303A) in all communications. Please be advised that your submission will not be considered should your application not be accompanied by the required information and documentation.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment. In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
Posted on 28 Apr 10:49
The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC)
The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) was established in 1969 with a mandate to improve