Safety Officer OHS – Manufacturing – Durban – Kwazulu Natal
Salary: R23 000.00 CTC per month (Including Benefits)
Complement Recruitment are recruiting for a Safety Officer from a Manufacturing / FMCG background, to be based in the eThekwini area, Pietermaritzburg and surrounds. This is a permanent position that requires candidates, with a minimum 3 years working experience in a safety officer & occupational health & safety (OHS) role, understanding the demands, pressures & requirements of a world class plant facility.
Purpose of Position: Provide safety management, OHS, guidance, monitoring, systems and reporting in the workplace to senior management, and engage staff in programs that ensure safe practice in the workplace. The position reports to the TQM & Compliance Manager, and carries the primary responsibility of ensuring occupational health and safety standards within the organisation.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Grade 12 & Minimum qualification – National Diploma in Safety Management or equivalent
- Factory, Plant, Manufacturing, FMCG etc hands on skills and knowledge in previous/current role
- Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Acts, SAMTRAC, NOSA Standards, COIDA and IOD’s
- 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment in a similar role
- SAMTRAC/HIRA/NOSA Certificate would be advantageous
- Must be prepared to work after hours and weekends
- Must have own reliable transport
- Computer literate (MS Office etc)
- Interpersonal and good communication skills.
- Set a high standard of performance by example, attitude and behaviour.
Safety Officer Skills and Qualifications:
- Health, Safety, Regulations, Training, Education, Risk Assessment, Analysis, Auditing, Inspection, Communication, Corporate Responsibility, Detail Orientated, Timeliness, Trustworthy, Work Effectively Under Pressure, Deadline Driven
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation both verbal and written
- Reporting skills, Ability to be self-managed and multitask
- Ability to follow directions, Ability to lead and manage the performance of others
- Circulate material received from EHS (Environment Health & Safety) to appropriate members of the department. This will include, but not be limited to, environmental health and safety policies, standard operating procedures, training session notifications, and general environmental health and safety information.
- Assist in the identification of environmental health and safety issues, deficiencies and hazards by periodically inspecting the workplace.
- Bring identified issues, deficiencies / hazards to the attention of the person responsible for the area & or item.
- Assist as necessary to ensure that the issue, deficiency or hazard is resolved.
- Ensure that any responsibilities listed for Safety Officers under the various standard operating procedures issued by EHS are completed.
- Inform EHS of issues, deficiencies or hazards that are not being addressed or corrected.
- Ensure that monthly inspections of fire extinguishers, hose cabinets and first aid kits are carried out.
- Maintain the Departmental Safety Bulletin Board.
- If necessary, accompany staff from EHS, Joint Health and Safety Committees, and external regulatory agencies during workplace inspections.
- Assist the department by following up on any deficiencies noted during inspections to ensure they are corrected by those responsible for the area or the item.
- If necessary, assist supervisors in the completion of incident/accident reports to ensure they are submitted to EHS in a timely manner. It may also be necessary to assist EHS with investigating incidents or accidents.
- Keep the Department Head informed on all of the above.
Find Us on Social Media
Subscribe to Job Alerts – www.complement.co.za
Please Note: Companies may expire jobs at their own discretion. Should you not meet the minimum requirements or hear from us within 3 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.