|Location:||Durban, Glen Anil|
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering higher certificates, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
AFDA is inviting applications for the position of Durban Registrar
The Registrar will report to the Group Administration Manager (GAM) who sits on the AFDA Institutional Senate (IS) and has strong links to the Campus Dean and the Education Value Assurance Department (EVA) and Academic staff members. The Student Affairs Officer and Learning Co-ordinator on the Durban site will report into the Registrar.
Roles and responsibilities
The Registrar will support GAM in establishing and maintaining the systems, policies, activities, and best practices for the effective and efficient functioning of the Registrar’s Office at AFDA. The Registrar in Durban will provide leadership in all activities related to Academic and Student Administration (including responsibility for the Student Graduation Ceremonies), and Enterprise Records Management. In this last-mentioned role, the Registrar shall serve as the official authorised keeper of the Durban Student Records.
The specific roles and responsibilities of the Registrar include:
- Student admissions and registrations, student assessment administration, graduation service, and records management, including the annual AFDA Academic Calendar and Rules.
- Updating Academic Yearbook; coordinating and disseminating information on courses and course guidelines.
- Acting as the custodian of all student records, developing, implementing and maintaining effective and compliant records management.
- Attending all meetings of the Senate and Senate Committees and providing the necessary committee services.
- Providing guidance on all matters of academic governance and policy to all Heads of Schools and other departments if required.
- Warranting of reports, academic transcripts and degrees.
- Preparation of the Institutional Annual Report for submission to the DHET.
- Participating and serving in all initiatives as determined by the Group Administration Manager.
- Liaise with all Heads of Schools, other departments and with external stakeholders and SETA’s for bursary procurement and administration.
- Keeping the Academic and Student Support Policies/Rules Register and ensuring:
- policies are effectively implemented;
- legal and regulatory compliance with policies;
- procedures linked to policies are in place and maintained.
- Student disciplinary matters.
- Student and parent consultation meetings.
- A relevant honours’ degree or proven work experience within this role.
- At least eight years management experience in higher education.
- A track record and proven knowledge of student academic and administrative systems within a higher education institution.
- Sound knowledge of academic rules, regulations and national legal and policy prescripts.
- Solid experience in academic governance and administration.
Knowledge and skills
- Very good knowledge and skills in most of the following:
- Academic governance in a higher education environment
- Academic administration tools, systems and processes
- Governance and administration and academic rules and regulations including national legal and policy prescripts
- Computer systems and operations and relevant organisational architecture
- Transformation imperatives in higher education
- Insights into the challenges facing higher education, and specifically private higher education
- Contact learning pedagogies
- Leadership and management skills
- Networking, teamwork and collaboration skills
- People skills and the ability to foster trust
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to Detail: Taking care to ensure that all work output is delivered professionally and resolving inconsistencies without impacting client service.
- Structured Thinking: Coherently organising information from various sources into a coherent, while adapting it to best practice.
- Proactivity: Planning to ensure accurate and timely delivery and taking initiative to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Resilience: Dealing with conflict and maintaining focus in the face of difficulties
- Adaptability: Working with a diverse team, adapting to implemented changes within the Company, and acting as a change agent in the portfolio.
- Innovation: Generating innovative solutions in work situations and being prepared to implement different and creative ways to deal with work problems and create opportunities.
- Professionalism: Displaying robust decision-making and professionalism in written and oral communication. Responding with integrity when dealing with others, and understanding the role as one of student-centredness and service delivery.
- Closing date for applications: 31 August 2020. No late applications will be considered.
- Candidates wishing to apply for the position of Durban Campus Registrar are required to submit:
- A letter of application and motivation, concisely detailing his/her suitability for the position
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae.
- Applications must be submitted by email to Louise Lowman () by the (closing date of applications).
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks after the closing date of
this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.
Posted on 24 Jul 12:05