|Remuneration:||negotiable Market related|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
The KZN news reporter is a key member of the Newsroom who is assigned to stories daily. The KZN news reporter under the leadership of the input editor and assignments editor plays a critical role in contributing to the news agenda that sets Newzroom Afrika apart from other broadcasters in South Africa and beyond. You will also be a key interface between members of the public to bring us fresh stories throughout the day. The KZN news reporter is a key member of the Newsroom who is assigned to stories daily.
The KZN News Reporter under the leadership of the input editor and assignments editor plays a critical role in contributing to the news agenda that sets Newzroom Afrika apart from other broadcasters in South Africa and beyond. You will also be a key interface between members of the public to bring us fresh stories throughout the day.
- Pitch thoroughly investigated stories daily as part of the contribution to the daily diary.
- Write well-researched blurbs in conjunction with assignments as part of the contribution to the daily diary.
- Accept and research story ideas given by the assignments editor
- Compile a strong, compelling and balanced forward planning diary weekly in conjunction with the assignments editors and input editor
- Contribute to the forward planning calendar
- Conduct research and present unique story ideas daily/weekly
- Produce at least two exclusive news story per week
- Develop a strong contact base to help generate unique story ideas and exclusive stories
- Under the guidance of the input editor and assignments editor to respond timeously and appropriately to breaking news and developing stories
- Check the wires, news sites and newspapers for stories of interest
- Conduct preliminary interviews before heading out on stories
- Cover stories in High Court, regional court and magistrates court on a regular basis
- Cover stories in the legislature as and when required
- Cover political stories as and when required
- Arrange and conduct strong live and pre-recorded interviews daily
- Ask probing questions and follow up questions during live and pre-recorded interviews and press briefings
- Conduct in-depth in-studio interviews that are informative and professional as required
- Brief camera operator timeously about the daily assignments
- Ensure a variety of voices are represented in stories
- Write strong quality scripts with depth in line with the visuals accompanying the story
- Check archives for appropriate visuals accompanying the stories
- Provide a shot-list with the submitted script
- Provide a summary of bytes were unable to transcribe soundbites
- Check facts to ensure the story is factual and balanced
- Meet deadlines set daily
- Required to travel to stories as and when required
- Maintain good communication between input editor, assignments desk, output desk
- Provide regular updates to the output and assignments desk as the stories develop
- Send strong and fresh regular updates to the output desk while out on stories
- Live tweet while out on assignments from the official Newzroom Afrika account
- With the assistance of the social media desk compile accurate tweets for the social media
- Attend training as and when required
- Develop a firm understanding of Newzroom Afrika’s disciplinary and leave policies
- Develop a firm understanding of Newzroom Afrika’s travel policy
Newzroom Afrika is a premier South African 24-hour television news channel broadcasting in Southern Africa, East and West Africa. Newzroom Afrika is live on DStv channel 405.
- Three to five years of experience in journalism
- Three-year tertiary qualification in journalism or similar field
- Knowledge of newzroom production systems and workflows
- Good grasp of English and other South African official languages
- Must be prepared to work shift hours, including early morning and late evening
- Team player with a passion for news and current affairs
- Strong contact base in various sectors
Suitably qualified applicants are invited to submit their CV’s on or before 26 June 2020. Please note that if you have not heard from the HR department within 30 days of this advert closing, your application has unfortunately been unsuccessful.
Posted on 22 Jun 11:57
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.