Corporate communication and marketing division
Manager – publications
The Corporate Communication and Marketing Division (CCMD) creates a competitive advantage for Stellenbosch University (SU) by strategically positioning the brand favourably, implementing effective communication and marketing initiatives – including student recruitment –and by arranging institutional events for various stakeholders. The Division offers a dynamic, innovative and interesting work environment. Most of the Division’s activities are deadline-driven, fast-paced and often require extended working hours.
The CCMD currently has a vacancy for a manager publications. The incumbent will be responsible to co-create a publications strategy and operational plan, and for the implementation of the plan which will include the production of a collection of printed and digital institutional publications for a variety of stakeholders. Institutional publications are not limited to traditional print or digital publications; it may include marketing/promotional collateral, a variety of PowerPoint presentations aimed at different stakeholders; video production and the news carousel on the SU website. The Manager: Publications also takes responsibility for the strategy, content alignment and production management of the University’s Annual Integrated Report, including the compilation of briefing documents for written and visual content contributors and graphic designer, and ensures compliance with the Department of Higher Education and Training’s requirements for integrated annual reporting.
Management of various corporate publications
- Co-developing and implementing a corporate publications strategy and plan with objectives aligned with SU’s Integrated Communication Strategy and Plan;
- Compiling an annual production plan for institutional publications, including the Integrated Annual Report, and managing its scheduling and roll out;
- Conceptualising various publications in accordance with objectives and stakeholders;
- Overseeing the production and print management of various corporate publications;
- Compiling the annual budget for corporate publications and managing the expenditure;
- Ensuring high quality written and visual content, cutting-edge publication formats and innovative design;
- Managing the distribution and delivery of publications;
- Ensuring alignment with corporate brand identity, and compliance with protocols and guidelines;
- Benchmarking SU publications against international best practice;
- Procuring internal and external service providers.
Content creation for publications
- Writing, re-writing, editing, translating and proof-reading content for various SU publications that are published in both English and Afrikaans;
- Commissioning and managing the contributions by copy writers, photographers and graphic designers;
- Ensuring alignment of content with institutional narrative and tone;
- Interpreting written information for conversion into visual communication, e.g. graphs and infographics.
- Relevant Bmdegree or equivalent qualification in communication/journalism/marketing/public relations;
- Approximately six to eight years’ working experience in the relevant fields with at least five years in publication management or publishing, including print and digital publication production, financial management and staff coordination;
- Proven experience in strategy development, planning and implementation related to publications;
- Excellent language proficiency and experience in high-level content creation and quality control, with the ability to sign-off on English and Afrikaans publications for production: printing/digital distribution;
- Computer literate in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as knowledge of digital publication platforms;
- Ability to function effectively in a multilingual and multicultural environment;
- Ability to work independently, make objective and decisive, yet flexible decisions under pressure and within set deadlines, and the ability to work in a multi-skilled, professional team;
- Accurate reporting of information and attention to fine detail.
- Relevant postgraduate qualification;
- Experience in a corporate communication or marketing division;
- Knowledge of the higher education sector;
- Experience in project management;
- Knowledge of integrated reporting.
Commencement of duties: 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 25 November 2020
Enquiries regarding job contents: Ms. Candes Keating on 021 808 9175, or at target=”_blank. Please do not send applications to this email address.
Applications for the position will only be accepted via the online application platform as indicated. For technical assistance with the platform and remuneration enquiries, please contact the Human Resources Division on 021 808 2753, or at az.ca.nus@rh-e-nus
The University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as Stellenbosch University’s institutional EE Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 12 Nov 09:23