|Location:||Johannesburg, Auckland Park|
Reporting to: LP program coordinator
Employment Type: Fixed-term teaching post
Salary: Based on experience
Location: JHB Campus
Industry: Private Higher Education
Start date: 1 February 2021
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering higher certificates, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
AFDA is inviting applications for the position of Discipline Lecturer in the 3rd Year Acting Discipline in the School of Live Performance UG/undergraduate programme.
AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated lecturer with industry experience to lecture and provide support to 3rd year undergraduate students. The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate students and guide them into the world of Acting for stage and screen. Experience in engaging students with classical text and Shakespeare would be beneficial. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way we hope to be able to contribute to nation building and build the foundations for a sustainable local film industry.
Roles and responsibilities
A discipline lecturer is expected to:
- Acquire and maintain and up to date understanding of the BA programme by completing the AFDA onboarding process and attending all staff training sessions
- Have an advanced understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of their discipline.
- Have a thorough understanding of their discipline curriculum
- Conduct research to develop up to date lesson plans and lecture content for their discipline
- Deliver lectures according to timetabled sessions and do the required consultations.
- Be knowledgeable in all contact and online pedagogical approaches as they apply to their discipline and practice them appropriately according to the designated requirements
- Have a thorough understanding of all assessment instruments and use them appropriately for all learning activities.
- Manage their discipline students by ensuring that:
- Students understand the term’s assignments, assessments and associated assessment instruments and deadlines
- Students stay on track with the term’s deliverables through regular follow ups where required
- All facilities and equipment for the term’s teaching and the term’s project are available, functional and maintained
- The term’s resources are adequately planned for
- All assignments are marked and all marks are submitted timeously to the Registry for moderation and report generation.
- Participate in Quality Assurance and Quality Enhancement practices
- Participate in working with counter-parts to ensure parity across all campuses on term outcomes and assessments.
- Participate in all required marketing activities such as Open Days and consultations with prospective students where required
Key competencies (role associated)
- Willingness to adapt to AFDA’s curriculum, syllabus, schematics and methodologies and pedagogy
- Willingness to adhere and embody AFDA values
- Ability to work co-operatively with other teaching staff
- Excellent time and deadline management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Physically and emotionally well adaptable to change
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Inter-personal skills
- Ability to research independently
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to manage inventory of facilities and equipment
- The capacity to research and adapt to new developments in technology
Personal attributes (role associated)
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Willingness to support student development
- Masters (NQF Level 9) / BA Hons (NQF level 8)
- Established work experience in tertiary education.
- Industry and / or knowledge of the Film/Television and / or Performance industries
- AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups.
Closing date: 25 January 2021
Applications must be submitted by email to Morne Abrahams at az.oc.adfa@smaharbA.enroM
by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
- A covering letter indicating his/her suitability for the position.
- A comprehensive and up to date curriculum vitae with contact details included.
- A list with three contactable references.
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within two weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.
Posted on 15 Jan 13:01