|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
Lecturer/Junior Lecturer (Ref. EBW08/194/0617)
The department of statistics and actuarial science offers both undergraduate and postgraduate training in statistics, actuarial science, and financial risk management. Members of the department are also actively engaged in research and consulting in these fields. Two positions are vacant in the department, one at lecturer level and the other at junior lecturer level.
Further information is available on the department’s href=”http://www.sun.ac.za/statistics” target=”_blank”>www.sun.ac.za/statistics website.
- Teaching and developing undergraduate and postgraduate courses in statistics and mathematical statistics in the department
- Developing and expanding data science as focus area within the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes
- Participation in the department’s research activities
- Supervision of honours and master’s students
- A coursework master’s degree in statistics or mathematical statistics, with at least 50% of course work completed as part of the master’s degree
- The ability to teach statistics and mathematical statistics at under and postgraduate level
- The ability to develop and present statistics and mathematical statistics modules at under and postgraduate level
- The ability and experience to network with role players within and outside the university to address the department’s focus on developing data science and statistical learning theory environments in particular
- The ability to function effectively in a multilingual environment where English and Afrikaans are the dominant languages
- Experience in at least one recognised programming language and one recognised statistics software package
- A PhD in statistics or mathematical statistics or already registered for the PhD in statistics or mathematical statistics
- Experience in lecturing of large groups
- Interest and involvement in the expansion of the department’s focus on data science and the alignment thereof with existing initiatives of the department
Commencement of duties: Both appointments at 1 September 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Closing date: 26 June 2017
Enquiries: Prof PJ Mostert 021 808 3536/808 3244, email
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753
The university will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups
The university reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email address of at least three referees), must reach the university before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Applicants should request their referees to send confidential reports by the closing date directly to the following address: The Manager: Personnel Provisioning and Planning, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602. email:
, fax: 021 808 2484.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The university reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 09 Jun 13:31
Get job alerts for Lecturer jobs
- Junior Lecturer – Statistics/Actuarial Science, Stellenbosch, Ayanda Mbanga Communications
- Junior Photographer/Videographer, Cape Town, Muizenberg
- Junior Photographer / Videographer, Cape Town, Muizenberg, Faithful to Nature Recruiter
- Global Communications Development Manager, Cape Town, Ivy Farrell Recruitment
- Senior Designer, Cape Town, Recruit Digital
- Internal Communications Manager, Cape Town, Brackenfell
- Digital Marketing Communications Executive, Cape Town