|Remuneration:||negotiable Cost to company|
|Benefits:||Within the cost to company package|
Previously disadvantaged candidates will be given preference.
A terrific 6-month contract opportunity has opened up for a Communication & Marketing Manager for Research at a renowned higher education institution in Cape Town. The main purpose of this position is to manage a hub of expertise on communication and marketing research and to develop, implement and monitor a comprehensive marketing and communication strategy to increase the visibility of research, particularly internationally, in line with their mission to be a world-class research-intensive school. The incumbent will ensure that offerings on all the marketing platforms are done to excellent quality that demonstrably contributes to the positioning of the institution internationally. Specifically, the chief job objectives are to ensure an effective online web presence, top quality external and internal publications to promote research (printed and online). To create and edit content for communications and marketing platforms, including research stories that require specialist science writing expertise to produce, build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to ensure that the communications and marketing needs of a number of relevant constituencies are met. Additionally, you will oversee communications and marketing for the internal research community, eResearch, postgraduate studies and the more. The successful candidate will also be responsible for line management to ensure effective distribution of work within the research visibility team. This is a hands-on writing role that is ultimately positioned to increase visibility of research at this academic institution. They may consider a Journalist.
Include but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive communication and marketing strategy for research
- Using specialist science-writing skills to translate scientific research, including through reading scientific papers and interviews into accessible copy for a lay audience
- Writing, vetting and editing scientific copy
- Line and resource management
- Engaging with and serving relevant stakeholders
- Media liaison
- Scoping and research of good practice.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- Journalism or Communications Degree or Health, Physical, Life Science Degree – Non-negotiable
- Honours Degree (NQF8)
- Master’s Degree (NQF9) – advantageous
- 8 years’ relevant experience of which at least 3 years should have been line and resource management
- Experience working in an ‘academic environment’ or similar
- Experience publishing research on relevant digital and traditional platforms internationally and locally
- Previous experience managing a team
- PR experience is advantageous as is experience in higher education
- Highly proficient in verbal and written English
- Managerial (line and resource management)
- Communications strategy development
- Writing and editing abilities
- Project management
- Some competence in basic HTML coding, web publishing and development experience would be an advantage
- Knowledge of communication and marketing, preferably within a higher education landscape
- Basic knowledge of web content and publishing, social media, and design
- Some knowledge of the research process would be an advantage
- Honesty to handle cash or finances.
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.
VGP Recruitment is a specialist recruitment agency in the advertising, marketing, media, creative, digital, PR/communications and publishing industries.
Posted on 13 Apr 08:07
+27 21 422 1037
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.